Jan 13, 2010

Cold. Brrr. Grrr.

I have a cold! Not that this is necessarily an unusual thing. Except that I can't recall the last time I had a cold. Usually, my gym routine keeps all the bugs away, and since I managed to get through the last semester without a cold in spite of standing amidst lots of bug-ridden students, I thought I was invincible.


Alas, it was not to be, and like everyone else this winter, I have to do my time. At first I blamed the weird tickle in my throat on the lasik surgery. My eyes have been permanently wet since the procedure, with a splendid eye drop routine of anti-bacterials, antibiotics and simple artificial tears. Since the stuff leaks straight through to my sinus/nasal cavity and into the back of my throat, I figured the drops were irritating some internal lining. 


But when my ears started hurting and then getting clogged, to be popped painfully every half hour yesterday, I realized it was more than just the eye drops. And sure enough, I woke up this morning with a head full of mucus.


Not such a disaster, I suppose. Except that I'm sorely tempted to skive. I'll do everything in my power to avoid that temptation, since this is my research semester and I ought to be writing. So far, January has looked more like an administrative exercise. Not good. Every day lost is a day wasted. And at some point someone is going to evaluate my efforts.


Not even the -14C degree temperature this morning will put me off. After all, I've already braved it to take out the dog (promptly forgetting my obligatory sunglasses that I have to wear several more days to protect my eyes). At least the dog was bouncy about it all: she loves it when I'm up early enough to take her out before hubby does.



No comments:

Post a Comment