Mar 22, 2011

$20 for a backache

Hubby has taken off to Paris this week, so I'm on my own with baby-management duties. So far, it's not too bad. The most challenging times are the crying periods in early morning and early evening. Part of the challenge is that I'm trying to get baby-boy to stretch his feeding times somewhat, because he should be able to manage 3-hour stretches by now, with occasional shorter periods (per my book). Of course, I still feed on demand, but this new trial tends to give my nipples a much needed break. The cost is that my breasts tend to feel more engorged between feedings. You win some, you lose some.


Luckily, I have some very good friends here in Montreal willing to help me out. The wife of a work colleague is coming around every morning staying until our nap time. Another friend will come round the last two evenings. This way, time will pass quickly and it'll be Friday before you know it. Let's just hope hubby returns safe and sound, free of winter storms and famous French strikes.


I'm also kick-starting my exercise routine again. Next week will be mommy-and-strollers, outdoor exercise. I'm already kinda freaking out about baby-boy being warm enough for an hour of outdoor sleeping, and I'm planning on wrapping him up well. Today, I tried a mommy-and-baby yoga class which I could "drop into" for a mere $20. This seems expensive to me, but I thought I'd give it a try. Generally, I'm not a fan of yoga, but when babies are involved it would seem that the yoga has a lower emphasis.


The class was so-so on the success scale. Baby-boy seemed to appreciate the massage he got and was fascinated by me moving around, hovered above him, doing some very basic stuff that hardly seems like the kind of kick-ass yoga I'm familiar with (and detest). Of course, he decided he wanted feeding mid-class, and promptly spewed all of it up on the polished wooden floor. Mostly, the class seemed to consist of walking around while holding your baby. This part seems a large waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned. Walking around holding the baby is what I do at home when baby-boy is fussy. And if I do it for more than 3 minutes, my back and wrists give out. Which is exactly what happened today. 


So in the end, I paid $20 to get a backache. No thanks. I think I'll spend that $20 elsewhere to baby-boy's benefit. And when it comes to the baby massage he seemed to love, I can always do it at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment