Feb 12, 2010

2010 is turning out to be ok (so far)

In my humble opinion, 2010 is turning out to be ok. Over the last month and a half or so, life has progressively been getting better. By that, I really just mean that I'm feeling better. In a million small ways. I have found a very good friend here in Montreal, who is fun, cool, around my age, single, a new prof like me - in short, a treasure. I feel like I'm getting back in control of my academic life: I'm managing to find research assistants who do good work, getting on with my papers, had one accepted for publication (!) and have been invited to be on the Board of Reviewers, i.e. editorial board of THE journal in entrepreneurship (!!!). 


I am also getting to be much happier in myself. I will admit that the last few years have been a struggle from time to time, partly caused by my job, partly caused by me. But these last two months, while by no means perfect, I have begun to feel a bit like my old self again. Some of this is due to a shift in mindset. But I also negotiated with my doctor to increase my thyroid hormone intake a little bit, and a week or so later, the difference is indescribable. I'm literally *bouncy*. My metabolism works properly again (I feel hungry and eat a normal amount without gaining weight), I'm gung-ho about doing work and have don't feel tired all the time. I suspect that although my TSH and T4 hormonal tests were coming back normal, that I was slightly "under" in the hormone levels. It's so nice to feel like a positive and active person again, mentally as well as physically.


All this new found energy left me frustrated with my hair and looks. And I decided to take the big leap into cutting my hair short again. I've simply come to terms with the fact that long hair just does not suit me as much as short hair. It just doesn't. No matter what I do. Or maybe I just don't know how to "do" longer hair. I will be the first to admit that I'm not a real girl in that sense. My solution was simple - to control my hair and look sexy, I just have to cut it off. 


So here is the new look. I'm really excited about it, and even my hairdresser and the girl who sweeps the floor in there were both impressed with how my looks changed with this super cute cut. Although the color was a bit of a surprise to all of us. It was supposed to be several shades darker than my own hair, and after the required 20 minute wait, it turned out almost blonde! Luckily a quick toner topping fixed most of the golden tones, and it turned out pretty. Though not quite the sexy brunette I'd had in mind. But I'm feeling so happy about the entire thing that I am embracing this whole-heartedly.









No comments:

Post a Comment